So, here’s my version of eggnog. I made it dairy-free and sugar-free for a fun twist (and perhaps a more suitable option for you).
You might be thinking eggnog is bad for you…but it’s actually a nice blend of natural saturated fats. It might be exactly what you need to start feeling more balanced. Indulge a little and enjoy!
- 2 cans coconut milk (whole fat, BPA Free can – Native Trees, Natural Value)
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ c. honey (or ½ c. maple syrup)
- Very tiny pinch of sea salt
- ¾ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg, more to taste
- 2 whole cloves
- In a medium sized pot, heat the coconut milk over medium heat. Do not boil.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs.
- Add nutmeg and cloves while the milk is heating.
- Once the milk is hot but not quite boiling, whisk ½ c. – 1 c. of hot milk into your bowl of eggs. Then, pour your eggs directly into the remaining coconut milk. Continue to whisk the milk comes begins to thicken – about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the honey and vanilla.
- Pour the eggnog through a fine mesh sieve or strainer into a Mason jar and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick, if desired.
If you are still searching for the perfect holiday present, consider gifting a cooking class!
I will be teaching a class at Taste Kitchen & Table in January. We will be making delicious, nutritious, gluten- and dairy-free meals that will help you stay or get healthy in the New Year. Check them out here. Gift certificates are sent with purchase so you can easily gift these for Christmas.