It’s that time of year! It’s time to set your New Year’s Resolution. Not surprisingly, the more common resolutions have to do with health – quitting smoking, getting fit and losing weight. In fact, according to the Thomson Reuters-NPR Health Poll published in December 2011, in the last five years 35% of Americans said they made a New Year’s resolution to lose weight.
What I found interesting and encouraging was that 57% of these people were successful! The overall success rate for New Year’s Resolutions is pretty good as well: 40-46%. This is according to Dr. John Norcross, Professor of Psychology and Distinguished University Fellow at the University of Scranton, who was a guest on NPR’s Science Friday.
Whether your New Year’s Resolution is to lose weight or just eat better, here are a few tips to help you be among those that are successful.
- First things first. Address any food allergies or intolerances first. Any attempt to eat better or lose weight will be trumped by your body’s defense mechanisms that deal with these food allergies/intolerances and you’re unlikely to feel any better. Addressing these can be your resolution.
- Be SMART. Make sure you resolution or goal is Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time specific. A realistic achievable goal will do much more for your health and your psyche. Losing 1- to 2- pounds a week is realistic and achievable. Losing 20 lbs in a month is not. Sure, it’s great to dream big but for this exercise, let’s break it down into baby steps.
- Eat well-balanced meals. Starving or extreme low-calorie diets don’t work. Nutrition is the foundation. Those cravings or extreme moods are not just in your head or your weak willpower. Those cravings are your body letting you know it did not get what it needed and needs more. It’s best to give your body the nutrients it needs in order to curb back those cravings. It may not be the number of calories but the quality of calories.
- Get support. It’s more fun and easier to be held accountable by someone other than you. That way you can share the victories and get the much needed support when you stumble. Choosing a friend or spouse is great but sometimes seeking professional help and the advice that goes with it can be extremely beneficial.
- Plan ahead. This is key because sometimes it becomes a question of survival not willpower. If you don’t have anything ‘good’ (i.e. healthy) to eat in your kitchen, then your chances of success are slim. You’ll grab the first thing or most convenient food you can because you’re hungry and in a hurry. So plan your meals and snacks for the week, make a shopping list and buy only what’s on your list. Stocking your pantry and fridge with healthful foods and getting rid of the junk food will increase your success rate immensely. Your environment is everything.
I’m offering 30% off my jumpstart sessions to help you get started!
Choose a 2-hour VIP session or a 4-week jumpstart. Both of these are great ways to ease into your healthy eating/living resolution with my support and some done-for-you guides and cheatsheets to make it so easy.
Set Up Your Thriving Kitchen 2-hour VIP Session – $137 (regular price $247) Having the right foods in your kitchen and a meal plan in place are key to having a healthy year. With this session, you get 5 seasonal, easy, delicious and nutritious recipes, a 4-season meal planning guide, and my Well-Stocked Pantry and Kitchen guides that list out items including spices, appliances and fun gadgets. Everything you need to make meal planning and cooking fun and easy. Click here to register.
Eat Healthy & Thrive 4-week Jumpstart – $347 (regular $497) (This includes a bonus 20% discount if you decide to roll into a 3 month program at the end of your 4 weeks!) This 4 session package is tailored for you. We spend the first session talking about you and your health history. I then take that information and chart in a way that let’s us see where you need to focus your attention for the year. We’ll set some achievable goals for you and lay out steps for you and begin to work towards them. Click here to register.
These offers are good until midnight Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Happy New Year!