Last week, I woke up dreaming about Orange Dreamsicles. I have very fond memories eating those as a kid. I have been trying to think of my favorite boxed grocery items in preparation of this week’s Kitchen Pantry Makeover Cooking Class at Taste Kitchen & Table.
The goal of the class is to make nourishing homemade versions of popular and favorite boxed, processed foods. This was a perfect candidate. I thought I’d make it into an Orange Dream Smoothie.
As you can imagine, the smoothie is packed with a lot more nutrition than the ice cream bar. In fact, it’s packed with the nutrients that will keep your adrenals and liver happy, which will help you combat your PMS blues, anxiety and hot flashes. What a relief!
Here are some of the nutritional elements broken down.
- a little chia and whey to provide some protein and fiber;
- some coconut milk to provide some nourishing fats and creaminess;
- a few oranges and carrots to provide sweetness and some calcium, Vitamin A and C;
- some zest to pack a flavor punch and some liver, digestive and anti-cancer support;
- And a dash of cinnamon for a little extra flavor and some TLC for just everything in your body – blood sugar, adrenals, inflammation and your immune system.
Orange Dream Smoothie
1 c. coconut milk
1 c. water
2 tbsp. chia seeds
2 tbsp. whey protein (optional)
1 tsp orange peel, grated
2 oranges, peeled, seeds removed
1 small carrot (approx. 6-inches)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. ice, as desired
Place coconut milk and chia seeds in blender. Blend until smooth. Add orange peel, oranges, carrot, vanilla and cinnamon. Blend until smooth. Add ice and blend until smooth. Enjoy for breakfast or as a snack. You can even freeze them in popsicle molds have have a true ‘dreamsicle’.
If you want to learn more recipes like this, join us at the Kitchen Pantry Makeover Cooking Class at Taste Kitchen & Table (Fairfax, CA). Hope to see you there.